Windows installer doesn't start

Thomas Dahlin, modified 11 Years ago.

Windows installer doesn't start

Youngling Posts: 5 Join Date: 10/18/12 Recent Posts
Hi,

I recently downloaded the windows installer and tried to install. After double-clicking the installation file, the User Account Control popped up. I click Yes to allow the program to make changes to the computer. After that nothing happens.

I have double-checked the manual and tried setting the JAVA_HOME variable in any way I can think of. Nothing helps!

My computer fulfills the system requirements. Currently my JAVA_HOME is set to "C:\Progra~1\Java\jdk1.6.0_31"

$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_31"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_31-b05)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.6-b01, mixed mode)

What could be wrong? Is there any log file created where I can see what's happening?

Kind regards,

/Thomas
thumbnail
Patrick Reilly, modified 11 Years ago.

RE: Windows installer doesn't start

Padawan Posts: 71 Join Date: 2/23/11 Recent Posts
Hi Thomas,

Welcome to the community!

Just to double check, did you restart your computer after setting the JAVA_HOME variable?

I'm not sure where a log file would be created after double clicking on the file, but running the installer from the command line may display more information.

Regards,
Patrick

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Yes, I have rebooted the computer after setting JAVA_HOME.

I tried to run the installer from cmd:

* I get the UAC popup
* I click Yes
* The installer looks like it just finishes (see attached screenshot)

No visible logs.

Note: I've tried both 32 and 64 bit java versions with the same result. A bit frustrating.

Regards,

/Thomas
thumbnail
Patrick Reilly, modified 11 Years ago.

Padawan Posts: 71 Join Date: 2/23/11 Recent Posts
Hi Thomas,

It is possible that a corrupted download could cause this. Could you check that the Klaros-Setup.exe file has a size of 116,234,451 Bytes with an MD5 checksum of a26af5177034ab952ef34b5e28a71c3f (for Klaros 3.6.12)?

Note: I've tried both 32 and 64 bit java versions with the same result. A bit frustrating.

Do you mean on a different computer or with a different windows installation or a different java installation? There are some reports that IZPack (the tool which builds our installer) has trouble running on some 64-bit java versions.

Other than this we are at a loss to explain your problem. Is it possible that windows is not elevating your user's permissions due to a security policy? Clicking "No" in the UAC dialog will have exactly this effect, so it might be possible that permissions are not being granted upon clicking "Yes".

Regards,
Patrick

Patrick, sorry for the lack of feedback. I've been on vacation for a couple of weeks.

I tried to start the installer again today. Same result.

The download is of the same size and identical md5sum as you've stated.

What I meant was that I have tried the following java versions (same computer):

1.6.0_35 (32-bit)
1.6.0_31 (64-bit)

Not elevating my permissions? I'm fairly sure I've installed other programs on my computer that requires UAC->Yes.

/Thomas
thumbnail
Torsten Stolpmann, modified 11 Years ago.

Jedi Council Member Posts: 755 Join Date: 2/12/09 Recent Posts
Hi Thomas,

is there any update on this issue? Have you cross checked the installation attempt on another system?

Regards,

Torsten

Hi Torsten,

No, I haven't tested installing on another system. Yet.

/Thomas
thumbnail
Torsten Stolpmann, modified 11 Years ago.

Jedi Council Member Posts: 755 Join Date: 2/12/09 Recent Posts
This is really weird and my best guess is that your Java installation is somehow flaky.

You may try to download the Linux installer and run it from the command line (java -jar Klaros-Setup.jar) to cross check this, as this basically is what the Windows-Executable is attempting as well.

Hope this helps,

Torsten

Torsten, when downloading the jar and running "java -jar Klaros-Setup.jar" from the command line it works as a charm!

Thanks for your assistance! Now I can finally start evaluating this tool!

Kind regards,

/Thomas