Questions collection

Sophia Demodopoulous, modified 13 Years ago.

Questions collection

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 1/24/11 Recent Posts
Hi,

At the moment, I'm evaluating TCM tools, klaros amongst others. I'm just wading through the list of requirements that our Test Department has provided. It would be great if you could help me with some explanations and best practise hints.

(1) Filter/Sort: We are very fond of the custom fields, but we'd like to filter for entries in custom fields. Unfortunately, custom fields are not available in the Filter/Sort options. Is this scheduled for one of the next versions?

(2) Permissions: Are test cases, suites or other entities locked while some admin is editing them?

(3) Define: There is no tree structure in klaros. I wonder what's the best way to organize the TC. Of course you will find everything you want by the filter options (except custom fields, uhmm), but still a tree or similar is very helpful if you have about 10.000 TC. We could use the Name field like Component A:Installation:Check path. Do you have a better idea?

(4) Define: By the way, I couldn't find a component field. What do you recommend for storing the component? I used SUT for the products. We have about 40 components, and some test cases can be used for more than one component.

(5) Execute: It happens quite often that testers speed through a bunch of simple test cases without taking notes or recording errors. In this case, they like to do a bulk change, for instance set the status to Passed. Is there a way to do this?

(6) Execute: In our current test case lists, the testers are able to jump back and forth as they like. In TestCaseRunner, they can only move forward, stop, and continue, right?

(7) Change Management: The manual says, only test cases that are not referenced by results or test suites can be deleted. I grabbed a TCR, checked the TC number, found it in the list, clicked Delete, and it was gone. Is the online trial somehow special, or can an admin delete whatever he wants and whenever he likes?
thumbnail
Tobias Schmitt, modified 13 Years ago.

RE: Questions collection

Padawan Posts: 71 Join Date: 2/12/09 Recent Posts
Hello Sophia,

welcome to our community and thank you for your interest in Klaros Testmanagement. I will answer your questions as soon as I have discussed them with our development team.

Regards,

Tobias Schmitt
thumbnail
Tobias Schmitt, modified 13 Years ago.

RE: Questions collection (Answer)

Padawan Posts: 71 Join Date: 2/12/09 Recent Posts
Hello Sophia,

sorry for the late answer but I had to clarify some of your points with our development department. Here are the answers to your questions.

(1) Filter/Sort: We are pleased to hear this. This improvement is already on our radar as KLAROS-1175 (Support to filter and sort by custom properties). It's scheduled for one of our next releases.

(2) Permissions: We are using the optimistic locking mechanism of the underlying database framework. This means 2 or more people are able to edit an entity. At the moment the last one who saves his changes wins. In an upcoming version we plan a refresh/discard option to the user when a conflict is detected.

(3) Define: We also see the need to organize test cases in a tree. Therefor we will add the possibility to categorize test cases in one of our next versions. There is already an issue for this feature. KLAROS-703 (Allow logical categorization of test cases). We would recommend a structured use of the name field in any case though. Another possibility would be the use of a text field as a tag list of categorisation tags (which would allow a multidimensional categorization).

(4) Define: At the moment we are only able to handle custom fields with single value selections (a multi selection field would probably be what you are looking for). A comma separated list in a text field might be a surrogate for this, but would need a multiple invocation of the search filter.

(5) Execute: Not at the moment but this function is also planned for one of our next releases. KLAROS-487 (Enable bulk actions for filtered items).

(6) Execute: Both the TestSuiteRunner and the TestCaseRunner allow to jump back to the previous step and to skip a step. There is also the new possibility to end a test suite run immediately.

(7) Change Management: It seems that you found a bug in Klaros. It should not be possible to delete test cases that already have results. I tracked this issue as KLAROS-1176 (It is possible to delete a test case that has results). This will be fixed in our next release. However an admin is able to delete projects (making them invisible for managers and testers) and purging projects (actually deleting them from the database).

Thank you for your valuable input. We try to focus our further development on user demands so questions like these help us steer our efforts in the right direction. If there is anything more to clarify do not hesitate to post your questions here or contact us directly under support@verit.de.

Regards,

Tobias Schmitt
thumbnail
Torsten Stolpmann, modified 13 Years ago.

Jedi Council Member Posts: 755 Join Date: 2/12/09 Recent Posts
Just a quick update:

KLAROS-1175 (Support to filter and sort by custom properties) is now fully implemented and KLAROS-1176 (It is possible to delete a test case that has results) has been fixed. Both will be available in the next release.

Regards,

Torsten
Sophia Demodopoulous, modified 13 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 1/24/11 Recent Posts
Good afternoon,

Thank you very much for your answers. Your input is very valuable and makes the evaluation much easier.
During the last two weeks I could spend much time for the TCM project - this is why you didn't get a reply more quickly.
I will proceed with the evaluation of tools, and I will have an eye on klaros whenever I can spare one emoticon

Kind regards