Importing of existing test cases

Ruel Loehr, modified 13 Years ago.

Importing of existing test cases

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 9/2/10 Recent Posts
Hello,

I've been monitoring your project for the last couple of months and think it has a lot of potential. I have found that there exists a high barrier of entry for me.

Currently, I maintain a test library which consists of ~400 hundred word documents. Each word document has a series of steps, anywhere from a few to 20.

When evaluating your system I see that each step for a test case is a seperate entity (requiring specific button clicks to add new steps).

To port my test library to Klaros creating 400*20 steps isn't appealing.

How have other users made this transition or am I missing something basic?

Thanks!
Ruel
thumbnail
Torsten Stolpmann, modified 13 Years ago.

RE: Importing of existing test cases

Jedi Council Member Posts: 755 Join Date: 2/12/09 Recent Posts
Hello Ruel,

first of all thanks for your encouraging words.

I am not quite clear on what your focus is here:

1. Reuse parts of existing test cases (Modularity) or
2. Provide a way to import data in an automated fashion.

for 1. we already have open feature requests on our roadmap (shown in other posts here).
Regarding 2. we documented the backup file format which you may use to import existing test cases. We also offer professional services to help you transfer your documents if that is needed from your side.

Regards,

Torsten
Ruel Loehr, modified 13 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 9/2/10 Recent Posts
Torsten Stolpmann:
Hello Ruel,

first of all thanks for your encouraging words.

I am not quite clear on what your focus is here:

1. Reuse parts of existing test cases (Modularity) or
2. Provide a way to import data in an automated fashion.

for 1. we already have open feature requests on our roadmap (shown in other posts here).
Regarding 2. we documented the backup file format which you may use to import existing test cases. We also offer professional services to help you transfer your documents if that is needed from your side.

Regards,

Torsten

My focus is on #2. How can I get best get all of the data I currently have into Klaros in a timely and easy fashion.

The way I see it there are currently two options:

1) Cut and paste from my word documents into Klaros. The main drawback to this approach (other than the obvious) is that Klaros holds each step of a test case in an individual field. I can't just grab the steps section of my current tests and drop them in. Instead, it is add new step, cut and paste data, add new step, repeat.... I do realize that this is part of the fundamental design of Klaros.

2) Change my word documents into XML as defined by your import file format. My work estimation on this is it is probably more work to do this than just cut and paste.

So a fundamental question then....

Assume a test organization currently maintains there test data in flat files (word, text, ....). What approach do other uses take to get their data into Klaros?
thumbnail
Heiner Westphal, modified 13 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 13 Join Date: 3/2/09 Recent Posts
Hello Ruel,

if you ae not used to automatically extract data from Office-Documents like .docs or spreadsheets
and generate XML documents, cutting and pasting will probably be faster, than converting your word
documents to klaros-XML.

Time for some advertising:
At verit Informationssystem GmbH we ARE used to do this programmatically, so it is usually faster and
less error prone to have us build a custom converter for your tests.

There is no standard converter, since there is no standard how tests are represented in
text form (or spread sheets).

Ruel Loehr:
So a fundamental question then....

Assume a test organization currently maintains there test data in flat files (word, text, ....). What approach do other uses take to get their data into Klaros?

There is more than one way (as usual):
  • start to use Klaros for new projects while keeping the old testmanagement for the old projects
  • cut and paste (If there are not too many testcases or the structure is simple - e.g. mini-testcases with just one step)
  • automatically: convert well formed test cases (XML-exports, spread sheets, TCs in databases) to Klaros-XML
  • semi-automatically, see below

It is quite common to do this in steps:
  • extract the data you want into a fixed text format, or spread sheet, or XML
  • review it to correct flaws which slipped in due to text format, which cannot force a fix format
  • convert corrected data to Klaros-XML
  • import

Best regards,

Heiner
thumbnail
Torsten Stolpmann, modified 11 Years ago.

Jedi Council Member Posts: 755 Join Date: 2/12/09 Recent Posts
Version 3.6 introduced a common import format for importing Test Cases in Excel format. See http://www.klaros-testmanagement.com/files/doc/html/User-Manual.Import-Export.html#User-Manual.Import-Export.Import-Test-Cases-From-Excel for details.

Hope this helps,

Torsten