must have: copy / share test cases and test suites

Markus Krieg, modified 10 Years ago.

must have: copy / share test cases and test suites

Padawan Posts: 34 Join Date: 8/23/10 Recent Posts
Hi all,

this one is a must have feature for us!

we need to be able to copy test cases and test suites from project to project.

ideally, we can even share test cases and test suites amongst projects. many test cases are centrally developed and maintained. using the revision system we should be able to either keep a fixed version of a certain case in a test suite (so that a test run can be evaluated against the case that was current at the time of the run) or always stay at the head of the revision tree to get the latest test case version in all shared test suites.

let's talk more about this!

gruss,
Markus

p.s. related to http://www.klaros-testmanagement.com/forum/-/message_boards/message/58308
thumbnail
Torsten Stolpmann, modified 10 Years ago.

RE: must have: copy / share test cases and test suites

Jedi Council Member Posts: 755 Join Date: 2/12/09 Recent Posts
Hi Markus,

this is not the first time this topic is coming up (I had several off-forum discussions on this as well before).

In a nutshell: I am not convinced that sharing stuff across projects is the best solution to the problem (not that I don't see the need for sharing). Separation of data is a Good Thing and IMHO should not be given up lightly.

So instead of opening up projects the key would be making themselves more powerful and flexible.

using the revision system we should be able to either keep a fixed version of a certain case in a test suite (so that a test run can be evaluated against the case that was current at the time of the run) or always stay at the head of the revision tree to get the latest test case version in all shared test suites.

You already are able create test suites using individual versions of test cases (linking individual test to head revision is a nice idea btw.). You can clone test suites and you can tailor them for individual SUTs, or share them across SUT's.

Coming from a product development background you may feel reluctant to share different products / product lines in one project. Conceptually they are SUT's in the same project for Klaros.

What is currently lacking is the ability to give a project more structure and separate it into logical units.

We are working on this.

Regards

Torsten
Markus Krieg, modified 10 Years ago.

RE: must have: copy / share test cases and test suites

Padawan Posts: 34 Join Date: 8/23/10 Recent Posts
Hi Torsten,

okay, I see your point about SUTs in one project not having to be a version of one single product!

true, we need to wrap our heads around that concept ;-)

gruss,
Markus