Feature Requests: Repeate Step.

Michaël Erni, modified 10 Years ago.

Feature Requests: Repeate Step.

Youngling Posts: 18 Join Date: 6/28/10 Recent Posts
Hi.
I've a suggestion about step of a test case. I've sometime a test case with 10 step.
And I need to do step 4 to 6 X time. (for one I need to reapeate it 50 times!!!).

The solution that I use for the moment is to create 3 test cases. Part 1, 2 & 3. And I repeate, into test plan, x Time the one that I need to repeate.
What do you think about the possibility of a "loop" for step.

Best,
Mike
thumbnail
Torsten Stolpmann, modified 10 Years ago.

RE: Feature Requests: Repeate Step.

Jedi Council Member Posts: 755 Join Date: 2/12/09 Recent Posts
Hi Mike,

this is a long outstanding feature request for this: KLAROS-271 (Allow for a template management or other reuse of test case steps for building similar test case descriptions).

The new database layout introduced in Klaros 3.0 will finally allow us to use building blocks from which to construct test case steps. There is still a lot of UI work to be done, so please have some patience here.

On the topic of loops: I currently see no real need for this as soon as test steps can be reused, but maybe I am missing something?

Regards,

Torsten
Michaël Erni, modified 10 Years ago.

Youngling Posts: 18 Join Date: 6/28/10 Recent Posts
Hi.
In my exemple, I've some module that I need to test. A module is a test plan into my Klaros.
For this module I've functions. Functions is a test cases.
For this functions i've "role". Role are some steps into a Functions.

The function have 10 steps.
Step 1 to 3 are to test 1st role of the function X times (with different param), Step 4 top 6 are to test the 2th role of the function X times and step 7 to 10 are to test the last role of the function X times.

Of course I can insert X Time informations. Problem is that I need to do some test 150 times emoticon.
Of course I can change the dénomination and create a test cases for each role of a Functions. It's what I do
for the moment for some Function, but at the end it will be better to make a test cases for a Function and not for a part of the function.

My vision is not easy to explain ^_ ^!

Best,
Mike
thumbnail
Torsten Stolpmann, modified 10 Years ago.

Jedi Council Member Posts: 755 Join Date: 2/12/09 Recent Posts
Hi Mike,

Step 1 to 3 are to test 1st role of the function X times (with different param), Step 4 top 6 are to test the 2th role of the function X times and step 7 to 10 are to test the last role of the function X times.

If I understood you correct here, each invocation of the 'X-times' invocation potentially takes different parameters, right? So what you are trying to achieve is:

do role 1 with param a, b
do role 1 with param c, d
do role 1 with param e, f
do role 2 with param g,h ...

Is this correct?

So using a solution for KLAROS-271 you would create a test case as following:

1. test step description: For the following actions use parameters: a, b
2. test fragment reference (a predefined set of test steps describing the actions for a role 1 invocation)
3. test step description: For the following actions use parameters: c, d
4. test fragment reference (same as above)
5. test step description: For the following actions use parameters: e, f
6. test fragment reference (same as above)
7. test step description: For the following actions use parameters: g, h
8. test fragment reference (a predefined set of test steps describing the actions for a role 2 invocation)

So beside the test case you will have to create fragments for each role once and include those.

Is this something that would solve your problems?

Of course I can change the dénomination and create a test cases for each role of a Functions.

Actually I think this is the clearer solution. While currently test suites are 'flat' In a way that they can only contain test cases, this will change in future versions, where test suites will be nestable.

Regards,

Torsten