Import/Export test cases from excel

Hanaa Saroar, modified 10 Years ago.

Import/Export test cases from excel

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 8/9/10 Recent Posts
Would be nice to be able to upload existing excel test cases of an org to the system + export those from the system too to excel

Thanks
thumbnail
Torsten Stolpmann, modified 10 Years ago.

RE: Import/Export test cases from excel

Jedi Council Member Posts: 755 Join Date: 2/12/09 Recent Posts
Hi Hanaa,

we too see the need for such an interface, as this has been requested in customer communications and other postings here as well.

The problem we see is that every organization has a different scheme for structuring their excel-based tests, so it is hard to find a generic approach on importing existing test data. In addition excel does not enforce formatting/structuring rules, so usually an import will not work out of the box without some manual interaction to remove inconsistencies and restructure the content.

I currently see two approaches to follow:

Use XML:

The XML backup format may be currently used to import external data into Klaros-Testmanagement. The conversion from Excel to XML can be done by your organization (the format is documented) or as an alternative we are able to provide professional support here.

Use a common excel format:

We may define a common format for test cases which we support for import/export actions. It would be your responsibility to transform your existing excel sheets to this format.

What do you think?

Regards,

Torsten
Deepak Vishwakarma, modified 13 Years ago.

Youngling Post: 1 Join Date: 11/16/10 Recent Posts
Hello Tarsten,

As you mentioned in your post that test cases from XML file can be imported to Klaros, along with documented format but while searching i didn't find the format. Could you please share the format for Excel to XML conversion inorder to support the importing
thumbnail
Torsten Stolpmann, modified 13 Years ago.

Hello Deepak,

The XML export/import format of Klaros-Testmanagement is documented in appendix C of the manual. The export and import functions can be found on the configure section under restore/backup. I recommend that you export a project with a single test case to get started.

For converting your test cases from Excel to XML you will probably have to implement this yourself. As mentioned above the structure of your Excel sheets is probably only known to you, so we cannot provide a generic solution here.

We also offer professional support to provide you with a solution, if this applies to you please let us know at sales@verit.de.

Hope this helps, regards

Torsten
thumbnail
Torsten Stolpmann, modified 11 Years ago.

Version 3.6 introduced a common import format for importing Excel-based test case definitions.

See http://www.klaros-testmanagement.com/files/doc/html/User-Manual.Import-Export.html#User-Manual.Import-Export.Import-Test-Cases-From-Excel for details.

Regards,

Torsten
Mike Thirdy, modified 11 Years ago.

Youngling Post: 1 Join Date: 1/9/13 Recent Posts
Torsten Stolpmann:
Version 3.6 introduced a common import format for importing Excel-based test case definitions.

See http://www.klaros-testmanagement.com/files/doc/html/User-Manual.Import-Export.html#User-Manual.Import-Export.Import-Test-Cases-From-Excel for details.

Regards,

Torsten

Hi Torsten,

is the excel file template described into the user manual available for download ?

Thanks in advance,
Mike
thumbnail
Torsten Stolpmann, modified 11 Years ago.

Hello Mike,

Sure, here you go.

Regards,

Torsten
Tobias Wagner, modified 3 Years ago.

Youngling Post: 1 Join Date: 2/25/21 Recent Posts
Hey community,

the Excel Import function is dealing very well for us.

But it would be really awesome, if the Klaros Server could not just import the Excel files but also export them in the same format.
I think that wouldn't be a huge implementation, because Klaros is already able to import this format, am i right?

Thanks and best regards
Tobias Wagner
thumbnail
Torsten Stolpmann, modified 3 Years ago.

Hello Tobias,

thank you for your feedback!

I think this is already possible. The Enterprise Edition allows you to generate custom test reports in Excel format.

With a bit of coding it should be quite easy to build an import-format compatible output with that, or any other format you prefer.

And to fully answer your question:

Our XLS test case and requirement import code uses a library which can only be used for importing.

There are  alternatives available, but the existing code is not suitable for an export scenario.

May I ask what your use case for XLS Test Case Export is?
Please let me know your thoughts.

Regards,

Torsten