Two or more options for an <Expected Result> in a Test Case

thumbnail
Angel Guillermo Hidalgo, modified 10 Years ago.

Two or more options for an <Expected Result> in a Test Case

Padawan Posts: 62 Join Date: 12/20/13 Recent Posts
Hi,

We are starting to use Klaros Testmanagement Enterprise Edition and we are writing our first Test Cases.

In our validation process, we have flow charts to test voice recognition of an electronic device, as you can figure, I have different possibilities of <Expected Result>.

For example, I have the following Test Case Steps:

Step 1. Say <call> to our electronic device
Expected Result 1. Our electronic device plays <Say a contact name or dictate numbers>

Step 2. Say <Angel Hidalgo> to our electronic device
Expected Result 2a. If our electronic device recognizes well, it plays <Do you want to call to the mobile or the office of Angel Hidalgo?>,
Expected Result 2b. If no, our electronic device plays <Excuse me?>

In this small example if I get Expected Result 2a, the next Test Case Step is <Select mobile or office>. But if I get <Expected Result 2b>, the next Test Case Step is repeating Step 1.

What is the best option to implement TC in this situation?. Can I add bifurcations in a Test Case?

Thanks in advance

Angel Hidalgo
thumbnail
Torsten Stolpmann, modified 10 Years ago.

RE: Two or more options for an <Expected Result> in a Test Case (Answer)

Jedi Council Member Posts: 755 Join Date: 2/12/09 Recent Posts
Hi Angel,

to keep close to your example in my view both variations (2a and 2b) are different tests which have a different expected result.

Lets start with variation 2b: Instruct the tester to mumble or whistle. You expect to hear <Excuse me?> or else the test fails.

In the test variation 2a you would probably want to instruct the tester to speak <Angel Hidalgo> clearly and possibly try to repeat this for a fixed number of times but this would be modeled as a single step in your testing process. If he hears <Do you want to call to the mobile or the office of Angel Hidalgo?> the test succeeds (or continues), if he does not come to the point the test fails.

IMHO You should not try to model bifurcations in your tests. Tests should be targeted at a single requirement or use case variant, this helps keeping things simple and traceable.

Hope this helps,

Torsten (look who's earned himself a new rank)
thumbnail
Angel Guillermo Hidalgo, modified 10 Years ago.

RE: Two or more options for an <Expected Result> in a Test Case

Padawan Posts: 62 Join Date: 12/20/13 Recent Posts
Thanks Torsten,

About your suggestion:

In the test variation 2a you would probably want to instruct the tester to speak <Angel Hidalgo> clearly and possibly try to repeat this for a fixed number of times but this would be modeled as a single step in your testing process. If he hears <Do you want to call to the mobile or the office of Angel Hidalgo?> the test succeeds (or continues), if he does not come to the point the test fails.

If I follow suggestion, how I can model that, as a single Test Case Step?

Regards,

Angel Hidalgo
thumbnail
Torsten Stolpmann, modified 10 Years ago.

RE: Two or more options for an <Expected Result> in a Test Case

Jedi Council Member Posts: 755 Join Date: 2/12/09 Recent Posts
I would probably make it a part of the expected result:

The system is responding with <Do you want to call to the mobile or the office of Angel Hidalgo?> for a maximum amount of n attempts of the tester, else the test fails.

Regards,

Torsten