Data corruption when editing test cases

thumbnail
Dutch Buckholz, modified 11 Years ago.

Data corruption when editing test cases

Youngling Posts: 10 Join Date: 4/18/12 Recent Posts
Hi again,

We're currently using 3.5.3 - Build 39 (2012-03-30 21:21:43) Community Edition. When moving a small test bed (roughly 300 cases organized into multiple suites) we've encountered issues of data corruption. A few clear scenarios have occurred:

1. One user saves changes to a test case affecting fields listed in the 'Manage test cases' view while another user is attempting to add another case. The interface prompts user #2 to save or drop changes. On some occasions saving has resulted in all test cases in the view having their title assigned to test either above or below them.

2. While a single user is creating and editing test cases several other cases have lost their settings for Area, Design Technique, Variety, Execution, Priority, Team, and Level have been blanked out with Status changed to Locked.

There have been a few other behaviors (Properties tab drop down boxes blanking, including status) but I don't have a clear scenario on these. We've encountered these issues multiple times and currently have a 1 user editing at a time restriction to try mitigating some of this.

We're just starting to use Klaros in an active test run. I'd personally love to have the product glow, stop considering other TCMs, and be able to justify the Enterprise license expense for the features that holds. However, the manual maintenance required to sanitize this will move us away from considering any level of this TCM if not fixed. There's no way I can justify to anybody in the company I work for having to continually pay the cost in hours to correct the damage these bugs are doing to our test bed. I also can't justify a system that's only working for 1 person at a time.

I am aware that there is another hotfix build of Klaros available for download but none of the issues above were listed in the release notes for that build. There's also not a clean upgrade process so I'll have to go through backing up all of our customized files in advance of upgrading.

Cheers,
Dutch
thumbnail
Patrick Reilly, modified 11 Years ago.

RE: Data corruption when editing test cases

Padawan Posts: 71 Join Date: 2/23/11 Recent Posts
Hi Dutch,

thanks for reporting the problem. This is a problem we had thought fixed in version 3.4.8 (KLAROS-1142 Existing field value changed when rapidly adding new test environments). On further detailed testing we managed to reproduce errors similar (although not identical) to what you describe.

We have just released maintenance version 3.5.6, which contains a fix for this problem. Although we couldn't reproduce your exact symptoms, we are almost certain that the cause is the same.

We have also improved the documentation for backing up the database and custom files during a Klaros update. The relevant section can be viewed here.

If anything is unclear or you have any further problems or questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Thanks again for reporting the problem!
Patrick

P.S.: since tomorrow (May 1st) is a public holiday here in Germany, it may be Wednesday before we answer!
thumbnail
Dutch Buckholz, modified 11 Years ago.

RE: Data corruption when editing test cases

Youngling Posts: 10 Join Date: 4/18/12 Recent Posts
Hi Patrick,

I really appreciate the quick turn around this. I upgraded our install this afternoon and will let you know if we encounter any more issues or not.

Thanks again,
Dutch